Staff-Parish Relations Committee
Mark Stid, Chair Clare Cinzori Adam March
Peter Minnich Tyler Murphy Emily Spahr
An effective committee works with the lead pastor and other staff to identify and clarify values for ministry of the congregation so that the staff can set priorities for leadership and service. The committee will fulfill legal and ethical responsibilities related to the staff.
- Lead the congregation to encourage, strengthen, nurture, support, and respect the pastor(s) and staff and their families. Help the staff set priorities that strengthen the congregation’s total ministry.
- Consult with the lead pastor to recommend staff positions to support the strategy of the church leadership team.
- Recommend staff compensation, travel, housing, and other financial matters to the church council through the finance committee.
- Create and update written policy for hiring, evaluating, promoting, retiring, and dismissing staff members who are not subject to episcopal appointment. (Procedures must comply with local and state laws.)
- Conduct proper screening (including background checks) for lay employees and volunteer staff.
- Meet with the district superintendent and/or the bishop in an advisory capacity related to clergy leadership. Considerations include the age and stage of the congregation, an understanding of feelings and desires within the congregation about the pastor’s leadership and appointment, and the culture and needs of the community around the church.
- Enlist, evaluate, and annually recommend to the charge conference candidates for professional ministry